What is Membership?
USA Dance is an affiliate member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and is recognized by the USOC, the World DanceSport Federation (WDSF), and the United States Congress as the National Governing Body of DanceSport in the United States.
The WDSF has been granted full recognition by the International Olympic Committee as the worldwide governing body of DanceSport. DanceSport is the competitive version of ballroom dancing.
USA Dance is approved by the Internal Revenue Service as a Section 501©(3) nonprofit organization. USA Dance is a Virginia Corporation organized exclusively for educational and charitable purposes with the meaning of Section 501 © (3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code and is registered with the State Division of Consumer Affairs, Commonwealth of Virginia, PO Box 1163, Richmond, VA 23209, Telephone (804) 786-2042, as a charitable organization authorized to solicit and receive donations from the public.
Educational and Charitable
In furtherance of its educational and charitable purposes, USA Dance promotes ballroom dancing as a sport and recreational activity locally, nationally, and internationally, and to that end:
- Works for its acknowledgment as an Olympic sport;
- Educates the public on how ballroom dancing enhances the development of mental and physical health, including such characteristics as poise and appearance;
- Educates the public, particularly the young on how organized and supervised dance activities improve and develop capabilities;
- Maintains a spirit of cooperation with existing national and international and professional dance organizations in the furtherance of “ballroom dancers” interest;
- Provides a means of information exchange between the various dance related organizations and encourages interaction between dancers of those organizations;
- Protects the public against any combination of persons or organizations seeking to impose restrictive conditions on dancing;
- Promotes, guides and supports ballroom dance programs in colleges, high schools and middle schools all over the nation, and;
- Establishes subordinate chapters of the USA Dance, Inc., throughout the United States.
USA Dance chapters create dance opportunities for local citizens by organizing affordable social dances, dance lessons, and workshops. Chapter members present dance demonstrations in nursing homes, retirement homes, hospitals, schools, shopping malls, and other public places and strive to educate the public regarding the health and social benefits of ballroom dancing. The goal of each chapter is to serve as the leader and focal point for ballroom dance activities in the community.
Colleges and Schools
A major portion of USA Dance’s resources is devoted to promoting, organizing, and supporting ballroom dance programs in local colleges and schools.
USA Dance organizes local, regional, and national DanceSport Championships, selects DanceSport Athletes to represent the United States in the World Amateur DanceSport Championships and World Games, and then helps finance their participation.
USA Dance sanctioned and supported the recent series of WDSF DanceSport Championships shown on prime time television and more will be scheduled for the future.
USA Dance hosted the year 2000 WDSF World Latin DanceSport Championships and the 2001 WDSF World Standard DanceSport Championships here in the United States.
Our goal is to host at least one WDSF World DanceSport Championship each year and to sanction several other WDSF Invitational DanceSport Championships annually.
Sign up online below or download the Membership Form.