USA Dance, Inc.
About USA DANCE
Our mission is to improve the quality and the quantity of ballroom dancing in the United States.
USA DANCE is the National Governing Body for DanceSport in the United States and with more than 160 chapters throughout the country is also the representative organization for all social and recreational ballroom and Latin dancers in America, ranging from pre-schoolers to seniors.
For DanceSport, USA Dance is the official member organization of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the U.S. member of the world governing organization, the World DanceSport Federation (called the WDSF), which is the official global member organization of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). Along with the WDSF, USA Dance has the sustaining mission to gain national and global acceptance for DanceSport as an official medal sport in the Olympic Games.
With nearly 19,000 U.S. members who financially support the national programs and with an outreach of more than 200,000 dancers, USA DANCE serves the industry as a leader and also as a 501c3 non-profit organization, approved by the Internal Revenue Service, and is authorized to solicit and receive donations from the public to support its promotional and educational programs.
Important USA Dance programs include the support and establishment of chapters throughout the country, financial and training support of our country's top athletes, organization and regulation of DanceSport competitions at the regional and national levels, encouragement of Special Olympics DanceSport and a K-12 after-school dance programs, support of seniors as recreational dancers and as athletes, fostering of a healthy, productive communications exchange via the general media and the USA Dance website, social media sites and the official publication American Dancer.
Essentially, USA Dance has the overall mission to increase the quality and quantity of ballroom dancing in America.
Educational and Charitable Mission:
In furtherance of its educational and charitable purposes, USA DANCE promotes ballroom dancing as a recognized sport and a recreational activity, providing opportunities to all Americans. Objectives include:
1. Educating the general public on how ballroom dancing, as a sport or activity, can greatly enhance the physical and mental well-being and health of its participants, regardless of age, ability or interest level;
2. Also educating the general public-- from pre-school to seniors -- about the social benefits of participating in organized dance activities;
3. Fostering and promoting a willingness and spirit of universal cooperation among co-existing dance, sports and social organizations, both for-profit and non-profit, businesses, teaching and competing professionals and amateurs, and other interest groups to sustain a high level of interest and participation in ballroom and latin dancing;
4. Providing a means of information exchange between the various dance related organizations and promoting a healthy and productive interaction between dancers of all organizations;
5. Eliminating restrictive conditions and policies that would prohibit or discourage participation in dance;
6. Promoting, guiding and supporting social and competitive ballroom dance programs at the collegiate and K-12 levels throughout the nation; and,
7. Fostering and helping sustain purposeful USA Dance chapters throughout the United States in all 50 states.
Chapter Social & Community Activities:
USA DANCE chapters create dance opportunities for local citizens by organizing affordable social dances, dance lessons and workshops. Chapter members often present dance education and live demonstrations in nursing homes, retirement homes, hospitals, schools, shopping malls, and other public places, while striving to educate the public regarding the health and social benefits of ballroom dancing. The goal of each chapter is to serve the national mission on a grassroots level, as a leader and a motivation for ballroom dance activities in the community, colleges and schools. A significant portion of USA Dance's resources is devoted to promoting, organizing and supporting ballroom dancing programs for youth and collegiate dancers.
USA DANCE organizes and promotes local dance competitions, regional dancesport competitions (called National Qualifying Events), and the USA Dance National DanceSport Championships, where dancers from pre-teen to seniors 55+ compete within their divisions and at varying proficiency levels. At the USA Dance "National", the United States' World Teams are selected and represent the USA at upcoming WDSF World DanceSport Championships and World Games. USA Dance works to fund Development and Training Scholarship Funds for the World Teams to help finance their participation.
c. 2011 USA Dance Inc. All Rights Reserved
rev 6/15/11 AP/LS rev 11/11AP3-14